Facts about diabetes
- There is an alarming increase in the number of people who develop Type 2 diabetes.
- African Americans are at high risk for diabetes as compared to the general population.
- There are at least four serious complications of diabetes: heart disease, blindness, kidney disease and nerve damage.
- There are approximately 26 million adult and children in the US today that are living with diabetes.
- Diabetes affects members of our families at all ages.
- Diabetes can be controlled.
Diabetes is an epidemic
People younger than 20 years of age—-215, 000 have diabetes
Adults 20 years or older—-25.6 million have diabetes
Seniors 65 years or older—-10.9 million (25%)